Friday, October 24, 2008

Getting to know the house...

Seems bizarre, but every time I go to the house, it feels as though I'm getting to know it better.

Probably helps that we've seen so much of it "deconstructed"!

I was looking at some photos of the vaults in the cellars; once, I would have had to puzzle which cellar the picture was taken in, but now I recognise them instantly!

I am thinking of treating myself to some really good quality paint brushes - I've used my (very) motley collection of cheap/second-hand ones for many a decorating job, and I just feel like a touch of luxury!

That seems a non-sequitur, but I was painting in the kitchen (at home), and thought: "Soon, I'll be getting even more familiar with the house as soon as I start painting!"

I seriously hope, though, that the hemp/lime coating on the walls doesn't need painting:

a) We've seen the "nude" coating, and we really like the finish as it is, and

b) I don't want to do any more painting than I strictly have to!

I'm going to have to paint the temporary doors (until we can afford the [planned] oak doors), as they are a mix of hardboard/fibreboard, with one 70's style "glazed" door.

I say "glazed" because by the time I've finished with it I will have somehow filled the rectangular space for the glass and made good.

I want to panel them in the same style as the original ones and find some proper French "door" wallpaper to put inside the panels.

Despite David's helpful suggestion, I am NOT going to wallpaper the ceilings, but that gives you an idea of what sort of wallpaper I am looking for!

Got to be extremely floral, and suitable for (a French person to paper): walls, ceilings and doors.

We both turned our noses up at narrow tongue-and-groove pine cladding to the walls, and carpeting the walls (or ceiling!), but I do want the house to retain some "French" feeling.

And having rejected a brown kitchen (brown sink, brown taps, brown oven, brown hob, brown tiles, brown cupboard doors, etc. etc) and brown light switches/sockets, I'm happy that wallpapered doors is a compromise I'm happy to make.

Plus, the doors will be changed as soon as I can afford to!

No comments:

Post a Comment