Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A big thank you to Scotia Seeds!

We had a look around the edge of the meadow to see if we had any primroses in the cleared area by the walnuts/hazelnuts.

We have a real [odd?] mix of hybrids: a few primroses, a few cowslips just starting and some small flowered (browny-orange) polyanths that I think must be a cross between either a coloured polyanth and the primroses or a coloured primula and the cowlips...

No way of knowing, but it's not something that featuress in my wildflower book.

I'd seen white and all-shades-of-pink primulas that look like primroses [and covet them; may have to ask neighbours for seeds...], but didn't want to introduce non-native wild flowers into the pré...

However, if nature has done just that, I don't see why I shouldn't add to the mix!

My primroses in the garden have some odd pinky-yellow or yellowy-pink offspring, so I know how promiscuous they are as I don't have any pink primulas. Must be all those insects I'm encouraging!

So, I'm looking (so far unsuccessfully, but I haven't given up yet) for some primula vulgaris subsp. sibthorpii seeds, as I would like the wild pink primrose to add to my mix, but in the meantime I found the Scotia Seeds website with some Scottish Primroses (primula scotica)...

I'm going to risk it: our neighbours all have a complete mix, so I'm not adding anything too strange, I hope.

I ordered them yesterday (obviously with some other seeds!) and they arrived this morning.

After my current experience with Amazon Marketplace deliveries, I'm absolutely delighted; so a big thanks to Fiona and all her colleagues at Scotia Seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment