Friday, August 10, 2007

Creatures: update

We have seen loads of deer - at least 30, but I've lost count!

I think they are all the smaller chevreuil (which comes up as "roe deer" or "venison", depending on your usage!).

These are the ones Sergine told us that Patrick doesn't hunt as they are "minou" (cute). Privately, we have our suspicions that when Sergine doesn't know about it, they become venison!

I think all the butterflies have finished for the year...

This week I have only seen a couple of Cabbage Whites, and haven't seen any of the bigger ones (Peacock, Tortoiseshell, Silver-Washed Fritillary or either type of Swallowtail) for a while.

Well, I suppose with the weather how it is (cold, wet & miserable), they must feel autumn's here!

We did have 2 glorious days of summer, but that is so long ago - nearly a week! ;-) - that I've forgotten how warm it was!

When I took David to the station it was 30°C in the shade, and that was Sunday at 7.15pm.

Five days later and I'll be bringing him back to a different season!

As if to emphasise how wet it's been, I had to chase a tiger (leopard?) slug out of the kitchen.

Normally I'm not squeamish, and they get dealt with using salt or a heavy boot, but this chap was enormous!

I measured him, and he was 7" long from the tip of his eye-stalks to the tip of his tail...

Didn't feel like arguing with him, and had no big stick to hand, so prodded him with a bit of copper piping till he went back out under the door.

Can't wait for the place to be finished so M. Baty can finish off under the doors!

That would keep the shrews out as well! ;-)

But not the swallow...!

I would have thought it's too late for nesting, but one definitely had been checking out the hole where our kitchen stove will be connected to!

Thankfully (unlike the bat!), he just took off out again when told to "shoo"!

No comments:

Post a Comment