Thursday, October 15, 2009

First frost

Yesterday was cold enough that I put the heating on again (high of 10ºC and low of 4ºC - just like the last time), and left it on overnight...

Was I glad I did that?

When I looked out at my drooping 'flower meadow' and saw the frost on the grass in the field, it felt like the right call!

At 8.30am the temperature in the sun was 2ºC, but in the shade it had only risen to -1ºC (it had been -2ºC overnight).

Which prompted a lot of rummaging around upstairs looking for hats/scarves/gloves and big thick socks...

Success on the big-thick-socks front, but less so with the rest.

I've found two hats (one was one of my dad's old work hats - designed to keep dust off his head, but not long enough to cover the ears [not his winter work hat] - and a skiing hat whose elastic is too tight!), so I'm OK for now, if not comfortable...

Every time my ears have got totally "frozen", that's when I've gone down with the 'flu (real influenza, not "man-flu") - coincidence? Almost certainly, BUT I don't want to risk it!

Found a couple of mohair scarves (nice, but scratchy!), and a lightweight one (OK, but not big enough), but no gloves or mittens.

Hmmm, go for the "Royal" look - wander round with hands in pockets?

It's a glorious day, so I shall go for a walk looking like a bag lady & keep my hands tucked in the warm!

Ooh, it is nice, being able to type without worrying my fingers will drop off!!

No comments:

Post a Comment