Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Slightly OCD lunch

I've decided to profit from the absence of workmen, and have a lazy afternoon hunkered down with a good book [an Agatha Christie, in case you were wondering] in front of the poêle, and am just having a late lunch first.

I blame tiredness/head full of other things, but I've ended up with:

  • tomatoes on a chopping board
  • avocado on a big plate
  • cheese on a small plate
  • crisps in a bowl
  • dried tomato paste in a jar

I do know why it happened that way [I wanted salt & pepper on the fresh tomatoes, but not on the avocado, and the chopping board is covered in tomato juice, the cheese I'd already sliced and it was taking up all of a small plate, the crisps were all that I was going to have (as a snack) until I realised it was lunchtime, so decided to have the cheese. There was some tomato paste (like tapenade) that needed using up, so no point decanting it (and it goes beautifully with creamy-textured Caprice des Dieux). I don't like slicing food on plates as we prefer having sharp knives, and I've seen the damage that they can do even to the toughest crockery. By the time I added the avocado to the 'mix' (at which point, if there hadn't been a plate of sliced-up brie-type cheese already there, I would have gone for insalata tricolore; yes all on one plate!) I had to get another plate, but somehow the "picnic" look stopped me piling everything onto the bigger plate. Simples!], but I'm not sure the world at large will see what I'm seeing [a delightful repast with a couple of my five-a-day (up to seven today)], and might just look too deeply into something quite random. No, I'm not posting a picture as I'd no longer have the hope that you might think I'm kidding.

Before you think my formatting's got lost, I deliberately ran that paragraph together in the hope that it's TL;DR for most people, and I can sneak it under the radar!

Reminds me of an episode of Monk: Monk was eating at Sharona's house, and she'd put all the vegetables on the plate, touching!! Monk was desperately uncomfortable, till the son [whose name I've forgotten] got another plate to separate them out. It was at that point it became immensely clear to me that neither the director nor Tony Shalhoub has obsessive tendencies, as Monk was then happy, but some of the vegetables were still in the wrong place and touching!

Oh, I do miss that programme.

Together with Monica Geller from friends, Adrian Monk makes me feel so completely normal that I should be the poster-girl for normal!

Anyway, back to my segregated food...

No comments:

Post a Comment