Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Day 46

David had a mail from Mme Baty this morning saying that her husband would be coming here tomorrow!

Cue huge levels of excitement; I find him the most chilled of the artisans, and love watching beautiful woodwork taking shape, and it means that the stable will become a usable room within the next couple of days.

I had a visit from M. Mekki: he wanted M. Hamid to break through the doorway to the house today, whereas I wasn't keen [until M. Baty has actually fitted the door/windows I'm suspending belief; I trust him, but experience has taught me that not everything happens according to plan, and I really don't want an unsecured house days before we leave the country!], so we were about to start negotiations.

Turns out that M. Hamid had more work than M. Mekki was expecting, so he will need to come back tomorrow anyway, so the doorway can be unblocked then. Everyone happy!

The cour anglaise looks fine; I'm not 100% sure about the sloping wall, but think that once we have plants growing along there, the slant mirroring the angle of the potager will look right, and we won't have additional wall hiding the view of the hay meadow.

I love having visits from Messrs Mekki and Luparello, and apparently they like coming here, too. M. Mekki says they always have a laugh; I think that's what raises my spirits so much.

That, and the 'can do' attitude; most refreshing.

My mission for this afternoon was to beg a favour from the guys at Milesi [yes, the chaps with the Manitou!]. I was hoping to see the very amiable guy with the proper Asterix moustache, as he always seems very smiley and friendly, but I decided it was better to get it over and done with...

The young chap I spoke too was, I think, trying to pluck up courage to come and see me: would I let them store their mini-digger here overnight?

Yes, no problem... Could you help me out with your Manitou on Friday for a delivery?

Yes, no problem... Once again, everyone happy!

It's one of the things I really love about this area: the folks are happy to put themselves out a bit to help you, and don't grimace at the idea - just the way we like to be, and the way life should be, but isn't always.

Nice interactions have given me a bit of a 'lift', so you get a post today.

*Grin*

No comments:

Post a Comment