Thursday, May 03, 2007

April visit 5

Obsessing again?

I watched my minimum-maximum thermometer avidly (I’m such a fan that I’m considering getting one for downstairs – often the temperature is markedly different on the two floors – and one for outside: now that would be interesting!), and the coldest it got when I was there was 6°C. Still pretty nippy! By Tuesday (I’d been there since Sunday afternoon), downstairs was actually warmer at 7am than upstairs: 15°C rather than 11°C; that’s one of the nice things about great thick stone walls – once you get some warmth in there, they do seem to retain it. I’ve got a little second thermometer that only reads the temperature (not highs & lows), so that’s on the mantelpiece in the hall.

Outside (OK, I cheat, I put my other [other other!] thermometer in the sun; but I work in the sun, so I want to know how hot it is!) it was 30°C at 10am and 36°C at midday on Monday (24°C indoors). It was still cold at night; at 7.45am on Wednesday it was only 8°C in the sun, and, with a North wind, that was pretty cold to be hand weeding. Towards the end of the week, I tried to go outside only when the mist had burnt off, but was still wearing t-shirt, jumper, scarf & canvas gardening smock (like a fisherman’s smock) till about 11am/midday! Once I’d warmed up it was back to long sleeves/sun block & hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment