Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Decisions, decisions

Deciding how the stone slabs should be laid in the dégagement between the back hall and the master bedroom has felt like a challenge too far: I've known that I want them to look 'right', without having any clear idea of what looking right would look like!

M. Hamid is being a complete sweetie, as usual, and saying that whatever the client wants is what he will do; I had a complete moment [though thankfully without any blubbing] of needing my dad - he would do what his clients wanted, but could also suggest how it might be done!

In the absence of dad, I phoned David and we decided that the lines of the joints between the stones should run parallel to those of the corridor [any easy decision; how could I have struggled with that?], and any small triangles of stone in the doorway will not really matter [we made a very similar decision about the tiles in the bedroom, and that looks fine; you only notice the odd slivers in the doorway when you look for them, the rest of the time you notice that the tiles follow the only square wall in the place].

And thankfully, we have two largish slabs that can be laid side-by-side with the joint dead centre, then a big piece that can go in the middle of the next row (flanked by smaller stones laid 'vertically' rather than 'horizontally') and I think we're going to wing it with the final row (which is going to be a half-row at best).

M. Hamid also kindly agreed to me pressure-washing the slabs before he lays them, which will save me a massive amount of in situ scrubbing, and I'm grateful and dressed ready for the moment they have finished trimming the slabs down to size.

No comments:

Post a Comment