Monday, April 18, 2011

Perhaps I'm getting braver?

I need to leave the house to go and find some other blog supplies, but obviously don't want anyone to have the excuse of "I showed up, but you weren't there, so I can't come again for a month/whatever", so I telephoned M. Mekki...

Now that might not sound like a lot, but it's a biggie for me: when I speak to people face-to-face I can normally tell whether they have understood me or not, I can use my hands as a communication tool and they (assuming they have the minutest level of observation skills) can tell if I'm looking completely mystified myself. This all aids understanding and being understood.

I forgot to add: I do a pretty mean diagram, for when there are no words!

Obviously, given that no-one I need to call has a videophone and nor do we, a phone conversation cuts out all my favourite coping mechanisms. I don't know if it's true (or an "urban myth") that 93% of communication is non-verbal, but I know that if I avoid the telephone we get far fewer misunderstandings!

So, to have spoken with M. Mekki feels like an achievement.

I think I'm safe to leave the house, given:
  • Plumber: waiting for tiles to be pointed so he can fit the bath
  • Tiler: coming Wednesday to grout the floor tiles, and then who-knows-when for the faïence
  • Electrician: returning Thursday to finish making good and fit the extra socket in the kitchen
  • Joiner: scheduled Thursday to fit the shutters
  • Plaquiste: expected tomorrow
  • Builder: ditto
Now that feels like we've got everyone covered, so I'm safe to leave the house. Lovely day for it, again, so I'm off to enjoy the sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment