Monday, August 15, 2011

Seeing-lots-of-people sort of a day

We'd got no plans to see anyone in particular today, apart from David taking a cheque around to M. Waeber.

But he came beetling back in record time [have I mentioned that M. Waeber likes to chat?], so I guessed neither of them was in.

Wrong!

They invited us around for a quick apéritif, and David came round to see if I would go...

Obviously! At the moment I'm "off" the wagon, so I could even have some champagne. We had a great natter, and it was not a quick drink either, but it seemed the most relaxed and sociable that I'd seen him, and I'd only seen her once before, but she seems a great character.

Needless to say, we put the world to rights, chewed the fat, etc., etc.

If I'm not careful, I suspect I'm going to get roped into doing some vendanging with her...

I think if you'd caught me twenty years ago I would have loved it, and even ten years ago I could have persevered with the best of them, but I'm not sure my back is up to all that bending over; everyone has assured me it's back-breaking work, so I might come over all "busy" if needs be!

We were back home, having just mopped up our apéros with some leftovers, when Mme Claude came round with her daughter and two of her grandchildren; she came bearing the "wolf's mouths"* that Claude had forgotten to bring with him yesterday, plus a whole heap more little seedlings. I know what the pink flower is, without knowing it's name, but the other things will be a nice surprise!

*The French name for snapdragons.

They were off on a walk, so we didn't talk too long, and to be honest I thought it best to get the plants into the soil as soon as possible. I've just spent over two hours doing that; not that there were that many plants, but digging holes in the gravel/stone-infested areas that I'm trying to plant up is a lot more time-consuming than digging something in in the rare areas where there is decent soil.

As I was looking my very best [hair awry, soil under the nails, the obligatory smear on my face, generally dusty; I'm sure you get the picture?], a lady and her son (very tentatively) came up to chat. I think she's seen the work going on, and probably me head-down in the garden a few times, and I'm sure she was vaguely familiar [but on that front I am terrified I'm turning into my mother; memory of a goldfish anyone?], but this was the first time she'd approached us.

It turns out she came here, to the house, in the war for some illicit dancing; M. Thielle and his wife and aunt (I think) lived here, and used to very covertly break the rules and enjoy themselves. As this was a great centre for maquisards, I think there's a strong tradition of breaking the rules and putting two fingers up at the occupying Germans.

The lady was only a little girl, but she remembers the house well. I think everyone does who visited it in those days; "le Baron" certainly seems to have left a lasting impression.

She thought we were very brave for taking it on, and that it was marvellous that we were doing so much work on the place; I offered to show her round, as she has memories [and I suspect a few more stories that she could tell], but she said no.

I think she will come another time; hopefully in a month or six weeks when I've had a chance to tidy up so it makes a good impression.

I tried to ask her who she was, and where she lived, but all I've gathered is that her mother's side of the family are almost all buried here [with a few in the next village along], and that she lives near Troyes; I do hope she comes back, I think a lot of people find it good that we're bringing the life back to the place, and I want it to be somewhere that has loads of visitors.

The son seemed very quiet, but let's hope I get chance to get to know them better.

All the people around here seem so friendly and welcoming; it takes me back to my childhood in the country near Market Drayton.

Now all I need do is push on with the plan for some fruit trees and the dream is complete!

Hope the evening is as lovely for you as it is for us, and that you feel as happy and content as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment