Monday, June 14, 2010

Mountain biking

Along with staying on the wagon [actually surprisingly easy, when there aren't home-made liqueurs to 'evaluate'!], I'm trying to take more exercise in a bid to become healthier...

I love walking round the tracks, but some days I leave it too late, or the gaps in the showers don't feel long enough, PLUS I would like to explore further afield.

So we've invested in a couple of mountain bikes.

Yesterday I went off for a trial ride: it took me six goes to get about 200 yards (300?) up the hill at the back, so I turned right and did the circuit I can walk in about a quarter of an hour.

Took me 10 minutes...

Hmmm!

Baby steps it is then.

Today, I still needed to stop five times [and it was only five because I gritted my teeth and refused to stop when I REALLY wanted to!], but when I got back onto the road I turned left instead of heading straight for home.

Managed just over half an hour, and I expect I will pay for it tomorrow!

My "seat" is going to take time to become acclimatised to the saddle; but as it's always like that when you start cycling, I'm not worrying.

Perhaps I'm slightly unhinged starting out my ride with the steepest hill I can find?

I like to walk that way, because when I get to the plateau it's all easier from then on in: I think I climb about 50 metres over a distance of 300-400 metres at the start of a walk, so it is pretty aerobic (or maybe it's just because I'm really unfit?), and then the remaining ups & downs don't seem as daunting.

If I get to the stage I can ride further than I can walk (which is looking a bit shaky, to be honest), I will need to find my map.

But that's not such a problem as getting my thighs & posterior into shape will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment